INGREDIENTS FOR A SUCCESSFUL SEO CAMPAIGN
To run a successful search engine optimization campaign,(SEO), there are three (3) basic ingredients to use. They are (i) Keyword selection (ii) Visibility (iii) Conversion.
These ingredients are equally important processes.
Keyword research and selection:
A keyword is a term that is used to match search engine’s query to find specific information.
- Keyword frequency:
This is calculated as how often does a keyword appear in a website title or description.
2. Keyword weight:
It refers to the number of keywords appearing on your web page compared to the total number of words appearing on that same page.
3. Keyword proximity:
It refers to the placement of keywords on a web page in relation to each other or, in some cases, in relation to other words with a similar meaning as the queried keyword.
4. Keyword Prominence:
It is a measure of how early or high up on a page, the keywords are found. Having keywords in the first heading and in the first paragraph (first 20 words or so) on a page is the best.
5. Keyword placement:
Where your keywords are placed on a page is very important. For example, in most engines, placing the keywords in the Title of the page, or in the Heading tags will give it more relevancy. On some engines, placing keywords in the link text, the part that is underlined on the screen in a browser, can add more relevancy to those words.
Best Places to Place Keyword.
Here is a list of places where you should try to use your main keywords.
- Keywords in the <title> tag(s).
- Keywords in the <meta name=”description”>.
- Keywords in the <meta name=”keyword”>.
- Keywords in <h1> or other headline tags.
- Keywords in the <a href=”http://yourcompany.com”>keywords</a> link tags.
- Keywords in the body copy.
- Keywords in alt tags.
- Keywords in <!– insert comments here> comments tags.
- Keywords in the URL or website address.
There are many different ways to find keywords for your website. Some good keyword ideas are:
- The potential words people would use to find your product or service.
- The problems that your prospective customers may be trying to solve with your product or service.
- Keyword tags on competitor’s websites.
- Visible page copy on competitor’s websites.
- Related search suggestions on top search engines.
- Using an online tool such as Google Keyword Tool.
- By analyzing your website carefully and finding out proper keywords. This task can be done by expert SEO copywriters.
- Pay attention to stemming for your keywords – particularly to what the root word is and what Google considers to be a match for that word, when optimizing pages over time.
- You can do brainstorming to identify correct keywords for your site.
Tools for Keyword research and placement:
- SemRush: SemRush is a great tool on this list as it is a complete solution for keyword checking.
One can enter his/her website URL or the individual URL of a blog post, and it will show you which keywords you are currently ranking for. You can further click on any resulting keyword to check keyword competition and other details.
It supports Google (you can select Google Search based on your target geographical region) and Bing.
Ahref is loaded with tons of great features. It automatically detects what keyword your website is ranking for and you can specify ranking based on country.
- Google rank checker: Google Rank Checker is an excellent freeonline utility which helps users track keyword positioning in Google search engine results.
In order to use this service, simply put in the keyword you want to search along with the domain name, and it will show you the position of that specific keyword in Google.
It’s that easy.
- . SERP’s Keyword Rank checker
The SERP popular free Keyword rank checker tool which shows more than search engine position. Along with search engine ranking, it also shows CPC and search volume data, for any keyword or phrase.
- SEOCentro Rank Checker
SEOCentro is one of the best keyword checking tools I have found till date.
With Rank Checker you can check the performance of specific keywords in multiple search engines such as Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. The result will give you complete details about a specific keyword including its rank in various search engines, along with a history of the keyword.
Although search engine optimization has evolved beyond which keywords you rank for, keyword placement and positioning is a crucial component of SEO. Also, implementing the best SEO technique to complement the site type is critical for making a strong impression in search engines.
NB: Other ingredients i.e visibility and conversion will be discussed in a later post.